Dairying is an important source of subsidiary income to small/marginal farmers and agricultural laborers. The manure from animals provides a good source of organic matter for improving soil fertility and crop yields. The gober gas from the dung is used as fuel for domestic purposes as also for running engines for drawing water from well. The surplus fodder and agricultural by-products are gainfully utilized for feeding the animals. Almost all draught power for farm operations and transportation is supplied by bullocks. Since agriculture is mostly seasonal, there is a possibility of finding employment throughout the year for many persons through dairy farming. Thus, dairy also provides employment throughout the year. The main beneficiaries of dairy programs are small/marginal farmers and landless laborers. A farmer can earn a gross surplus of about Rs. 12,000 per year from a unit consisting of 2 milking buffaloes. Even more profits can be earned depending upon the breed of animal, managerial skills and marketing potential.
The total milk production in the country for the year 2001-02 was estimated at 84.6 million metric tonnes. At this production, the per capita availability was to be 226 grams per day against the minimum requirement of 250 grams per day as recommended by ICMR. Thus, there is a tremendous scope/potential for increasing the milk production. The population of breeding cows and buffaloes in milk over 3 years of age was 62.6 million and 42.4 million, respectively (1992 census)
Central and State Governments are giving considerable financial assistance for creating infrastructure facilities for milk production. The nineth plan outlay on Animal Husbandry and Dairying was Rs. 2345 crores.
Financial Assistance Available from Banks/NABARD for Dairy Farming.
NABARD is an apex institution for all matters relating to policy, planning and operation in the field of agricultural credit. It serves as an apex refinancing agency for the institutions providing investment and production credit. It promotes development through formulation and appraisal of projects through a well organized Technical Services Department at the Head Office and Technical Cells at each of the Regional Offices.
Loan from banks with refinance facility from NABARD is available for starting dairy farming. For obtaining bank loan, the farmers should apply to the nearest branch of a commercial or co-operative Bank in their area in the prescribed application form which is available in the branches of financing banks. The Technical Officer attached to or the Manager of the bank can help/give guidance to the farmers in preparing the project report to obtain bank loan.
For dairy schemes with very large outlays, detailed reports will have to be prepared. The items of finance would include capital asset items such as purchase of milch animals, construction of sheds, purchase of equipments etc. The feeding cost during the initial period of one/two months is capitalized and given as term loan. Facilities such as cost of land development, fencing, digging of well, commissioning of diesel engine/pumpset, electricity connections, essential servants' quarters, godown, transport vehicle, milk processing facilities etc. can be considered for loan. Cost of land is not considered for loan. However, if land is purchased for setting up a dairy farm, its cost can be treated as party's margin up to 10% of the total cost of project.
Agroguide , undertake only commercial dairy farm projects that have more than 50 cows or 60 buffaloes or produce more than 500 Litres of milk per day, entrepreneur to make the enterprise profitable, practically efficient and highly productive.
Agroguide Services : Farm Planning, Farm Project Finance & Farm Management Services
Dairy Farm Planning
• Estimation of Target Oriented Farm Set Up.
• Designing Farm Layout.
• Preparation of Herd Development Plan.
• Configuration & Selection of Farm & Barn Equipment.
• Configuration & Selection of Milking Parlour/ Milking Equipment & CIP Systems.
• Selection/ Procurement/ Import of Dairy Animals, Semen & Embryos.
Farm Project Finance Services
• Feasibility Study.
• Preparation of Project Report & Bankable Project Report.
• Preparation of Financial Statements & Liaison with Financial Institutions (Banks & International) for Project Funding.
• Techno-Commercial Evaluation of Offers and making suitable recommendations.
Farm Project Management Services
• Supervision of Project Erection.
• Assistance in Procurement of Farm Equipment.
• Selection, Pre-Dispatch Inspection of/ Supervision of Installation and Commissioning of and Training in Operations of Farm & Milking Equipment.
• Selection & Procurement of Cows / Buffaloes of highest quality.
• Feeding Strategy & Preparation of Least Cost Formulation.
• Preparation of Breeding Plan for Improvement in Productivity.
• Dairy Herd Data Management System & Computerized Management Information System.
Fodder Planning & Feeding Management
• Land Utilization Plan for Mechanized Cultivation.
• Land Development Plan.
• Selection of Fodder varieties and Preparation of Crop Calendar.
• Selection of Agricultural Equipment and Irrigation Equipment.
• Silage & Hay Making / Storage.
• Least Cost Formulations for Group Feeding.
• Selection of Agricultural Equipment and Irrigation Equipment.
• Fodder Seed Production.
Frozen Semen Processing & Embryo Transfer
• Planning & Design of Frozen Semen Processing Facility.
• Planning & Design of Embryo Processing and Transfer Laboratory.
• Selection & Training of Bulls for Semen Collection.
• Selection of Donor & Recipient Herds.
• Selection & Training of Personnel for Frozen Semen Processing.
• Selection & Training of Personnel for ET work.
Farm Waste Management
• Effluent Treatment Plant. • Bio-Gas Generation & Utilization.
Training of Manpower
• On-Site/ On-the-Job Training of personnel in all practical aspects of farm operations.
• Training of professionals in Frozen Semen Processing and Embryo Transfer at Institutions.
• Designing of Micro-Environment Control Systems for Heat Stress Management & Enhanced Productivity.
• Karyotyping of dairy herd for elimination of undesirable characters from the herd.
• Formulation of Open Nucleus Breeding System for creation of an elite productive herd.
• Formulation of TMR feeding for high productivity.
• Analysis of Farm Management Data for effective Management Decisions.
• Periodical Farm Management Audit.
Agroguide can also take up your projects on Turn-key basis.